Friday, February 3, 2012

Thione Seck & Le Raam Daan - Yow (1990)

Although one of Senegal's most loved singers, Thione Seck has not been as internationally famous as compatriots Youssou N'dour or Baaba Maal, despite having several excellent albums released around the world. Seck first achieved widespread notice as vocalist for Orchestra Baobab, but by the '80s had set out on a solo career with his band Le Raam Daam. Unparalleled producer Ibrahima Sylla caught Seck for this 1983 set, rereleased on the Melodie label in 1990.

Thione Seck croons over first rate mbalax with jazzy guitars and torrid percussion, and this album, one of his earliest solo efforts, is excellent. The first five tracks are vibrant mbalax, while the last is a ballad that picks up the pace slightly towards the end.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merci. Pour ceux qui aiment Thione Seck, voici un lien d'un enregistrement en concert en 1999 :

http://aduna.free.fr/aduna.blog/blog.htm

Mbalax nekhna trop...

Anonymous said...

Thanks RC for this cool lp.

I have Seck's wonderful "Orientation" disc from a few years back, and I heartily encourage folks to look around for that one. It's a beautiful production.
-john

Rhythm Connection said...

I heartily agree. The Orientation CD from Stern's is one not to miss, and one to seek. I am trying to get confirmation that they might even have a few LP copies of Le Pouvoir D'un Coeur Pur, which would be a treasure to snag, if so. Otherwise I'll post it here!

Mouhamadou Falilou Mbacke Ndiaye said...

I hope you will get Le Pouvoir D'un Coeur Pur. I've been desperately looking for this LP.

Apurva Bahadur said...

This is wonderful! Many thanks for sharing. Apurva from Pune, India.

Rhythm Connection said...

@ Mouhamadou: I have that album digitized and will post as soon as I have confirmation it is no longer available.

@Apurva: My pleasure, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for this amazing album. Thione Seck is one of the truly great voices of Senegal, and I am so happy to have this now.
Great blog and fabulous music!
Wishing you a happy day!