Friday, August 19, 2011

Jocelyn Béroard - Siwo (1986)

The cross-fertilization of music between Africa and the Caribbean is fascinating, and it has had profound, evolutionary impacts on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean. The most obvious example, of course, is how the mutated African musics of Cuba provided the foundation for the development of most modern African pop. Another example is zouk that developed in Martinique and Guadeloupe, an infectious music created deliberately by fusing African and French Caribbean styles.

Kassav is the dominant zouk band, filled with wonderfully talented musicians including Jacob Desvarieux, Georges Decimus, Jean-Philippe Marthély and Jean-Claude Naimro. In the mid to late 80s, its influence extended beyond its Caribbean home and Paris base to Africa and around the world. Several members of the band participated in diverse recordings, including the M'Pongo Love album posted below.

Jocelyn Béroard has been Kassav's charismatic vocalist since the beginning. This album caught the band in great form, and I liked it before even listening to it! In fact, it has been my favorite Kassav record. Please excuse some surface noise; I played it often, back in the day. Put it on for dancing this weekend!

8 comments:

ken_yatta said...

This was one of my first zouk albums. I bought it on cassette (and later CD) and played the hell out of it. I even lent it to a friend; who kept it for months and upon returning it, said the same thing. It's also my favorite kassav and zouk album.

Thanks!

Apurva Bahadur said...

What a coincidence! Just before browsing to the Rhythmconnection website, I started listening to an excellent song by JC Naimro of Kassav to find - more Kassav! Many thanks. Apurva from Pune, India.

oro said...

Just discovering your blog and linking it on mine. Long life.

Rhythm Connection said...

Apurva, you must have a magnificent collection! Thanks for appreciating mine.

Oro: I took the liberty of putting your link on this site on day one. I've only put a select few on, the ones I depend upon. Maximum respect. Robert

Apurva Bahadur said...

My collection is almost entirely 'collected' from the internet!
The web is one of the best things that happened to music and to unite the world like nothing else has. Apurva from Pune, India.

swamielmo said...

this is beautiful and will have a happy home in my head. thank you

David said...

Lovely way to enjoy a summer's evening! Can't believe how little she & the band seem to have rceorded, but this one is a real joy. Thank you!

Rhythm Connection said...

Thanks all, for your comments. David, there are quite a few Kassav albums, and I will sprinkle them!