Monday, June 27, 2011

Amayenge - Amayenge (1989)

This is the second of a trio of Zambian recordings published by Mondeca Records that I have been able to post, and like the other Zambian records offered here, this is a gem. Quite different from either of the previous bands, Amayenge is high-energy dance music fueled by furious percussion and singing. There are the great guitars typical of Copperbelt pop, but band leader Kris Chali's voice dominates, as well as his percussion solos.

Recorded in Zimbabwe, where the band was popular, this album even has a chimurenga song in praise of the revolutionary Zimbabwe of the day. There also are several songs praising Zambia's first and persistent President Kenneth Kaunda, who at the time was charting an independent, one-party path, and who was to lose power a short two years after this album was recorded. There is ample information about the band and songs on the album sleeve.

3 comments:

swamielmo said...

thanks again RCxn. I love the music you post here. I have listened to much of it and I think you have wonderful tastes. all the best

mr. follow follow said...

Hey Mr. Rhythm Connection,

I really like ur blog and started following it quite a while ago ...

amazing stuff ...

just recently added your blog to my blog roll at my own afrobeat page at:

http://afrobeat-music.blogspot.com/

Would it be possible to add my page to your blog roll / share centers as well ... really would appreciate that ...

Greetz from Germany!!

DJ Ironik said...

This is some gr8 stuff you have compiled here...however, i have a particular track i'm looking for from Amayenge named 'Aphiri Ndivakonda' I'd appreciate it very much if you have it.