Monday, May 2, 2011

Samuel Ateba Mengue - Mebok Me Bulu (1980s)

Samuel Ateba Mengue is a session percussionist who has participated in many recordings, but I think this is his only record. Along with diverse percussion, Ateba sings throughout this set of traditional dance songs. There is very little information about this musician, and I only deduce he is from Gabon, based on the personnel participating on the album. Chief among them are Pierre Akendengue and his frequent choral singer, in his early recordings, Marianne Ndjongue.

Yet the structure of songs and the important dual role of response vocals as both rhythm and chorus, so similar to Akendengue's music, suggests Gabon. If you have further information about Ateba or this music, or even the exact date this record was released, please enlighten us in the comments.
Enjoy!
Moments after this post went live, Aduna helpfully commented with a link to Ateba's MySpace page, which indicates that he originates form Cameroon. I am so impressed with this online community!

5 comments:

aduna said...

Hello,
I think he is from Cameroun :
http://www.myspace.com/samyateba
But i'm not 100% sure.

Rhythm Connection said...

Thank you Aduna. How did I miss his MySpace page? Indeed I had seen that a couple of the song-suites were connected to Cameroun, but that several of the personnel on the album were from Gabon. In any case, this inaccuracy illustrates two things: 1) the power of this online music community to share a wealth of information that is rapidly being lost; and, 2) that in much of Africa, where most national boundaries are arbitrary colonial constructs, music transcends borders.

Maximum respect, Aduna. I'll adjust my post.

bolingo69 said...

Cnx!

Maybe I should not comment here as this has nothing to do with the current post. But there were no comment possible on the insight post.

Just took a peak at your insights and since you are on an iMac let me just suggest that you check out a program called ClickRepair.

http://www.clickrepair.net/

I think you can try it out for a while before you have to pay so you can judge for yourself if it is worth it. I use it now and then mildly as I like you had the same habit of making cassette copies of my new LP's for listening so most of them are in excellent condition. That said you can check what I think about my old vinyl here at another fellows blog, Continuo posted this snippet from our correspondence a while back:

http://continuo.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/bolingos-thoughts-on-sorting-out-lps/

Your blog is really getting very tasty!

Good luck with the project and I am especially happy that you will focus on the vinyl. As the music on them often are such an endangered species that are worth protecting!

Rhythm Connection said...

Ah, Bolingo69: Similar latitudes, similar ideas? Sorry not to enable comments on "Insights," but that is a Page, instead of a Post, and I thought I'd confine comments to posts, where I encourage conversations like this interesting one.

As you will see in tomorrow's post, I have ClickRepair in my tool belt, and chose to use it for the first time. I have removed a few clicks and pops from LPs using the excellent interpolation tool in Amadeus Pro.

Thanks for your good wishes! Oh, and I thoroughly enjoyed your vinyl thoughts on Continuo's site!

David said...

Well, let me say it a year and a half late, as it got missed in the earlier comments: this is such a wonderful album!! A little primitive in style but thoroughly committed and thoroughly wonderful! Going round a few times on my ipod.

David